Regular six-monthly general dentistry check-ups and cleans are the best way to keep your teeth in good condition.
Routine cleaning and examinations are the best defence against:
- Dental decay.
- Gingivitis and periodontitis.
- Gum disease.
Your general dentistry check up:
- At your check up with Sydney Dentist Dr Kemm, your teeth, gums and the inside of your mouth are checked for signs of wear, inflammation and disease.
- Digital dental x-rays are often used to check for decay.
- A check up at She’s Apples also includes oral cancer screening.
Early detection of problems means early treatment and often simpler treatment.
Hygiene or scaling and polishing:
Done every 3 or 6 months, this removes bacteria, calculus (tartar) and plaque from the tooth surfaces.
- Removal of these deposits means that you are less liable to get gingivitis or tooth decay.
- Home care is encouraged including daily flossing, use of interdental brushes and, of course, regular brushing.
- Regular checkups are essential for everyone to ensure that any problems are identified and treated promptly.
- Regular visits for hygiene keep your teeth and gums in the best of health.
- Early detection of decay ensures minimum intervention in the form of fillings, inlays and crowns, resulting in healthy natural teeth.
- Early detection is good for your bank balance!
Root canal is done when the tooth nerve is damaged by trauma, decay or multiple fillings. Root treatment saves teeth from extraction when the nerve has died.
- The nerve and infected material are removed and the canals are filled with a resin.
- 2 to 3 visits are required to properly disinfect the tooth.
- We understand your apprehension of root canal and offer plenty of local anaesthetics, happy gas and your favourite movie whilst having treatment.
Bruxism and tooth grinding
Some people clench and grind their teeth at night and experience:
- Muscle aches and pains in the neck and shoulders.
- Worn teeth.
- Facial pain.
- Sore jaw joints.
- Trigger points.
Careful evaluation of head and neck muscles is performed. Splint therapy is sometimes recommended and botox injections can help to relax muscle spasm and reduce pain.
Sleep apnea is when breathing during sleep is interrupted, blocking more than 70% of the airflow for more than 10 seconds at a time.
It may happen many times per night and severely reduce the quality of your sleep. It is associated with snoring and so may stop your bed partner from having a good night’s sleep.
If left untreated, sleep apnea can cause high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes; it can cause memory lapses and reduced reaction time. It can be the cause of relationship problems. If your partner tells you that you snore loudly or if you feel fatigued or sleepy during the day, we can organise for you to have sleep studies done by a Sleep Physician.
An anti-snoring device that prevents your airway from being obstructed can be custom fitted for you.
If you suffer from the following:
- Tooth grinding.
- Snoring with pauses.
- Daytime sleepiness.
- Waking at night with gasping.
- Memory lapses.
Come in for an assessment of your bruxism, facial pain and sleep disorders.Make an appointment today